Miami firefighter finds young daughter’s body in rubble of Florida condo collapse – National

0
362

The death toll from last week’s condominium collapse in Florida rose on Friday to 22 after search-and-rescue crews found two more bodies, including the 7-year-old daughter of a Miami firefighter, officials said.

The grim, painstaking search for victims in the rubble, which was suspended for most of Thursday over safety concerns, proceeded on Friday with greater caution and a watchful eye on a hurricane that could strike Florida within days.

Read more:
Partially-collapsed Florida condo to be demolished as concerns over stability remain

The young girl was the third child to be recovered from the collapse site in the oceanfront town of Surfside, next to Miami Beach. Miami Mayor Francis Suarez confirmed to the Miami Herald that the firefighter, who was not identified, was at the recovery site at the time, though he was not one of the workers digging through the rubble.

Story continues below advertisement

The firefighter and his brother, also a firefighter, have kept a vigil at the site since last week, waiting until the girl was discovered, the paper reported. About 200 officers saluted as her body was carried away, the Herald said, citing unnamed sources.

Officials said the discovery was especially emotional for many of the first responders who have mounted an unprecedented around-the-clock effort to search for survivors, even as the odds have grown longer with each passing day.


Click to play video: 'Miami-Dade County mayor says she’s authorized demolition of Surfside building, but not happening yet'







Miami-Dade County mayor says she’s authorized demolition of Surfside building, but not happening yet


Miami-Dade County mayor says she’s authorized demolition of Surfside building, but not happening yet

“Every victim we remove is very difficult,” said Miami-Dade County Fire Chief Alan Cominsky. “Last night was even more, when we were removing a fellow firefighter’s daughter. As firefighters, we do what we do – it’s kind of a calling. But it still takes a toll.”

There are 126 people still missing and feared buried beneath tons of pulverized concrete, twisted metal and splintered lumber as the search stretched into its ninth day.

Story continues below advertisement

The number of people unaccounted for dropped by 17 from Thursday’s figure. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava told a news briefing that the totals were fluid, in part because investigators sometimes learned of additional family members when determining whether missing residents were safe.


Click to play video: 'New photos show Florida condo’s deterioration days before collapse'







New photos show Florida condo’s deterioration days before collapse


New photos show Florida condo’s deterioration days before collapse

 

No one has been pulled alive from the debris since the initial hours after the 12-floor Champlain Towers South condo partially caved in on itself early on June 24 as residents slept.


Click to play video: 'Biden visits Florida as 8th day of condo recovery mission briefly paused'







Biden visits Florida as 8th day of condo recovery mission briefly paused


Biden visits Florida as 8th day of condo recovery mission briefly paused

Authorities had halted the rescue and recovery effort early Thursday for fear that a section of the high-rise tower still standing might topple onto search crews in the debris field.

Story continues below advertisement

But the operation was restarted about 15 hours later when it was deemed safe, though with a new set of precautions in place, Miami-Dade County Fire and Rescue Chief Alan Cominsky told reporters Thursday evening.

Under the new search plan, teams would confine their work for now to just three of nine grids demarcated in the ruins of the 12-floor Champlain Towers South condo, Cominsky said.

Authorities were eager to make as much progress as possible before the expected arrival of Elsa, which strengthened into the first hurricane of the 2021 season on Friday as it threatened the Caribbean.

The storm could hit South Florida early on Tuesday, according to the National Hurricane Center in Miami, with heavy rains and strong winds arriving before that. But the center warned that Elsa’s forecasted path remains uncertain.


Click to play video: 'Trauma surgeon details Florida condo collapse rescue efforts'







Trauma surgeon details Florida condo collapse rescue efforts


Trauma surgeon details Florida condo collapse rescue efforts

The renewed search effort began shortly after a visit to the scene on Thursday by U.S. President Joe Biden, who spent about three hours consoling families of the dead and missing.

Story continues below advertisement

Biden, whose personal experience with tragedy has helped define his political persona, acknowledged that prospects for finding more survivors had dimmed but said it was possible someone might still be found alive.

“Hope springs eternal,” he said at a news conference at the nearby St. Regis hotel after meeting privately with families. “The whole nation is mourning with these families.”

Investigators have not determined what caused the 40-year-old condo complex to crumble into a heap in one of the deadliest building collapses in U.S. history.

But a 2018 engineering report prepared by an engineering firm ahead of a building safety-recertification process found structural deficiencies in the condo complex that are now the focus of various inquiries, including a grand jury examination.

Read more:
Rescue efforts at Florida condo collapse resume after 15-hour halt

USA Today, citing a document the newspaper obtained from a family member of a missing victim, reported late on Thursday that a 2020 document from the same firm noted “curious results” after testing the depth of the concrete slab below the pool. But the document did not specify what that meant, the newspaper reported.

The firm also documented severe deterioration in the pool area and expressed concern that repairs could threaten the stability of nearby areas, according to USA Today.

Story continues below advertisement

As recently as last April, the condo association president warned residents in a letter that major concrete damage identified by the engineer around the base of the building had grown “significantly worse.”


Click to play video: 'Surfside building collapse: Authorities preparing for possible impact of Hurricane Elsa'







Surfside building collapse: Authorities preparing for possible impact of Hurricane Elsa


Surfside building collapse: Authorities preparing for possible impact of Hurricane Elsa

— Additional reporting by Jarrett Renshaw, Dan Whitcomb, Brendan O’Brien, Peter Szekely, Kanishka Singh and Trevor Hunnicutt; Writing by Steve Gorman